Fan class

• Since beta is over and we're all anxiously awaiting official release, I figured now would be good time for some food for thought 8o

A while ago, a number of us in the bard discord channel were discussing classes/styles we liked from other Chinese games. Out of those discussed, the most desired was a fan-wielding class; similar to that of the "Tangmen" from Moonlight Blade or "Zephyr" from Swordsman Online.

I VERY often see players (not just SOLO) express an interest in this particular combat style / aesthetic, but unfortunately it seems to be pretty rare in MMOs.
    Back when Blade & Soul was first released, a large group of BnS Dojo members (myself included) worked together to come up with a solid "Fan-master" class concept + detailed overview to present to the developers. Unfortunately the NCwest producer never brought it to their attention (much to our disappointment - we worked really hard on it for weeks), but I never gave up on one day seeing it in a game I love.

Well - I was going over some SOLO dungeon videos, and I noticed something interesting in the "Fatal Winery". If you pay close attention to the hallway mobs, you will notice that they are all wielding a single fan. Even the final boss is wielding a fan. What I find especially interesting is that:
    1) The skill animations for these fan-wielding mobs are very detailed. Elegantly turning, jumping, waving the fan at the floor (see an example at around 0:47 seconds) or striking in front. Clear posture/stance and fluid movements - all accompanied by beautiful crimson smoke.
    2) The male mobs feature a melee-style combat, whilst the female mobs use their fans in a ranged-style combat stance (two different specs?).
    3) The final boss features the same weapon + melee stance, but of course with a wider array of skill animations.

The weapon model is there, the combat + idle stance is there, the two specs are there, the animations are there.......this may be a dungeon, but it does make me wonder if we might ever see a class like this from the SOLO devs. I mean, the majority of the base work for a new class is already there - so even if they aren't currently working on a new class, it certainly wouldn't be a stretch to further develop this concept into something playable.

Gameforge seems to have a pretty clear and healthy line of communication with Wangyuan Shengtang. So if enough players are interested in a class like this, maybe they can help bring this idea to the table. Maybe, JUST maybe, SOLO will be the next game to take on a fan-wielding class :*

IMG-6107.jpg

• This looks dope, I hope this gets to Wangyuan Shengtang! Very nice job pointing all that out huorong_heart

Some roses aren't red

And violets aren't either

I'm going to chop you up

And put you in a freezer

- Smoke huorong_heart

• Zhirelia

Added the Label Game
  • Thanks, everyone! <3<3

As the person recording is the main tank in this run, you can see more detailed movements from the mobs, as well as the final boss (starting at 9:10) here: Fatal Winery - Hard
    I absolutely LOVE the movements - especially when the mob (or boss) twirls the fan above their head and throws it like a boomerang 8)
    The final boss does more mechanic-based skills in the original link I posted; like casting a slew of red tornadoes and spinning in the air while red spikes rain down around him (reminds me of a Tangmen skill from Moonlight Blade).

I'm not sure what the story behind this dungeon is, but with a name like "Fatal Winery" and all the sparkly red smoke animations from the fan-wielding mobs + boss, the overall concept seems to be that of "Intoxication".
    This can be taken literally (cuz wine lol), but also in a sense of seduction - which could easily make this class concept based around illusions and enchantments.

Edit: I also noticed rose-petal effects from the boss's skill animations. So damn cool :love:

• I think a fan class would be cool, but of the 4 basic weapons of Chinese Martial arts, we already have the Dao (Future Warrior), the Jian (Spellsword), and the Spear (Spearmaster). I am surprised we don't have any class using a non-magical combat staff. Or just a monk style class in general

• I would be 100% in support of this. Hopefully it gets some sort of wind-based attacks!

Omg yesss <333

I could see some really cool wind-based knockbacks (or knock-ups), whirlwinds, teleports or becoming immaterial (like smoke), etc.

The fan-wielding mobs and boss in the Fatal Winery dungeon already use some wind-like skill animations (like the tornadoes). Wind/Air is kind of a given with a fan weapon xD

Here's some Moonlight Blade Tangmen skill animations for inspiration (via Steparu):
    https://i.imgur.com/XaZu8hg.mp4

• I just imagine the character being super hot and having a fan blowing on them

The members of the (insert class name) school are known for being some of the sexiest Immortals in existence. Being too hot to handle, they each carry a fan with them at all times. Founders of the (insert class name) school first mastered the art of wind-manipulation to cool themselves off and to enhance their breathtaking presence. They later realized this skill could also be used in combat, and so it became the core of their training and cultivation. (insert class name)'s bring both alluring charm and utter destruction to the battlefield. As the great master once said: "Seduce, then reduce."

BOOM - We've got it :D

• Dancer class please to slap around with the mighty fan huorong_clap I would imagine it also to have a healer spec to fan down those tired and wounded in the heat of the battle... In any case, I love fans, they keep me alive during the summer.

• Dancer class please to slap around with the mighty fan huorong_clap I would imagine it also to have a healer spec to fan down those tired and wounded in the heat of the battle... In any case, I love fans, they keep me alive during the summer.

Yeah! Especially when there blackout cuz it too hot and everyone in your neighbor go hams on their AC...RIP electric pole.

Yeah! Especially when there blackout cuz it too hot and everyone in your neighbor go hams on their AC...RIP electric pole.

AC's are trash. Fans are where it's at. ;)

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47e1n4xl9mejwgerbd8s74yzmg4dpxx826y162xfjd&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

• GUYS.
    I somehow never saw this Archer class trailer until recently, but it features a male character with an umbrella (starting at 1:14)....using an attack with black smoke and rose petals. I wouldn't mind an umbrella class as well, but DAMN that animation O_O <333333
    Give me a class with that exact attack animation theme and I would main it so hard, the servers would break xD

The fan-wielding "Fatal Winery" boss had attack animations featuring (red) smoke and rose petals as well....Hmmmmm....I'm sensing a theme here :/

• The Umbrella doesn't look half bad. I hope at least, for any class really, animations won't be as static as Bard's; or more fleshed out at least. Having the GuQin or not makes hardly any difference animation-vise, the initial animations are, well - lacklustre to say the least. It's just a lot of wasted potential in my opinion.

• Though it's definitely not the direction I would have envisioned for the Bard, I don't mind the DPS animations. In fact they grew on me a lot during my playtime in CBT. The healing spec on the other hand.....needs a whole animation revamp >< lol

Between the whirlwind of smoke and rose petals from the umbrella guy and the animations from the Fatal Winery mobs/boss (tornadoes, "smoke bombs", raining objects, etc), I can definitely see any "wind-based" class being very dynamic, as far as their animations and mobility.

Overall, I feel the skill animations for all classes are JUST showy enough that they're exciting to experience, but subdued enough that the visual clutter isn't overwhelming (which tends to be the case with many Chinese MMOs). They are also distinct enough that it's easy to tell which animations are from which class.
    This is partially why I got so excited seeing the black smoke + rose petals animation from the umbrella guy - it's SO unique and distinct from all other classes' skill animations/themes.