Longer or permanent edit functionality, especially for own made threads

• God, please yes. Thousand times yes.

I had an actual issue with posting threads that had to be remade with the help of Celes (she was great by the way, by far one of the best community managers I've interacted with during the years), it was around 1 hour of work, it messed up the gallery preview, which is troublesome and it was an overall extremely unneeded experience that could've simply had been resolved by making the edit button a week or a month or even permanent.

Do this entire community a favor and make the edit button last a minimum of a week.

• Sadly the Forum-Wizard has final say over most permission topics on here and we can only divert from his standards so much without him raining down hellfire on us. Nonetheless it should be changed to 1 hour now, which isn't much but better than nothing for now.

• Camist

Added the Label Forum
  • Sadly the Forum-Wizard has final say over most permission topics on here and we can only divert from his standards so much without him raining down hellfire on us. Nonetheless it should be changed to 1 hour now, which isn't much but better than nothing for now.

Would like to add to this one as well, this could maybe be a special condition for Guild and Guide sections only?

I went to update my guide since I had some additional information but now I'm unable to do that :(

• I whole heartedly want to request this function as well. I do not see a single reason for the Forum Wizard to not change it, but would like to ask said wizard to inform us otherwise if there is.

Right now all this 1 hour limit does is inconvenience your community, and giving your moderators extra work (which I know they don't mind, but I'm sure they got better things to do with their time).

Mister Forum Wizard, I would kindly ask you consider changing the edit function or at least inform us why you decide not to.

• Not allowing perm edits may drive potential guide posters to rely on third party forums. I don't see this being helpful especially when we are trying to promote and start a new community. You will end up having segregated information everywhere.

• Well ... I can only speak for myself:

I personally think it's right to give you certain time to edit.

And I don't think that you need the possibility to edit days later.

It's not that I want to assume you.

When you can still edit after a week later for e.g.

then it's possible to manipulate the course of a discussion thread.

Or edit an insult afterwards etc.

As I already mentioned it was just my personal opinion.

Actually we have all the same settings in all our forums out there.

In the end there are for sure reasons for certain settings :)

• This is a security issue, as mentioned above, this is a global setting of all GF forums. And this issue has already been discussed many times in all forums. Moderators love this feature very muchhuorong_cry

• Thank you very much for your input. However I do have to point out there are many reasons as for why this feature is asked for.

You have the people like me that just remember to add in things way past an hour, because we are just not on this forum all the time and notice mistakes or missing info only when we see the post again.
    We have people like Ayia who have made amazing guides, but will have to keep updating information to keep them relevant.
    We have people like the Deioth and Lindely, who "reserved" posts because they want to add information to their guild thread later on.

As for the issue you mentioned before, manipulating a thread, sure this is entirely possible, but the CM already confirmed there are edit logs and you lovely moderators would be able to deal with that. Toxic people will be toxic anyway, this edit function isn't what is stopping them.

As for security security, I know that everyone uses their own system, but it's very unheard of in any other game forum to have an edit timer. So there must be good ways to go about this :)

If there is any other reason why this is hard to do, I would kindly like to ask to hear said reason from our beloved Forum Wizzard themselves. As I feel like anyone would be able to respect and move on from the issue afterwards. I also feel that honesty, and conversation is a great way for a team to bond with their community.

Please note that all of this is written with love <3

• We have people like Ayia who have made amazing guides, but will have to keep updating information to keep them relevant.
    We have people like the Deioth and Lindely, who "reserved" posts because they want to add information to their guild thread later on.

The moderator will help with this.

As for the issue you mentioned before, manipulating a thread, sure this is entirely possible, but the CM already confirmed there are edit logs and you lovely moderators would be able to deal with that. Toxic people will be toxic anyway, this edit function isn't what is stopping them

CM is busy with other work, and more than one project. Moderators cannot track every post where someone has changed something. It takes much more time than helping in editing messages.

As for security security, I know that everyone uses their own system, but it's very unheard of in any other game forum to have an edit timer. So there must be good ways to go about this :)

This is a common practice on forums and you quickly get used to it.

If there is any other reason why this is hard to do, I would kindly like to ask to hear said reason from our beloved Forum Wizzard themselves. As I feel like anyone would be able to respect and move on from the issue afterwards. I also feel that honesty, and conversation is a great way for a team to bond with their community.

Gameforgecan provide the user with various communications facilities for its own content and contributions, which the user may use within the terms of the relevant availability. ‪Gameforge‬ in this respect solely provides the technical facilities for the exchange of information. There is no entitlement to the provision of such communications facilities.

"Please note that all of this is written with love" huorong_happy

• I can fully understand your concern :)

I think, the "problem" is (actually it's not even one) that the forum is still small. That's okay to check all threads/postings manually.

But when it's getting bigger (hopefully) then it's indeed difficult to have a look over the entire forum, especially old postings.

• As much as I would like to argue for this feature, I don't think this will be approved since this is a global switch.

I also don't think the reasons really justify the advantages of not having a perm edit feature. I am not a huge content creator but I feel for their frustration.

• This is really sad. I usually like forums but I find myself less active in those with timers (especially because I like to do RP stuff, and there is often a time I see typos.

At this point, it's almost better for Guide poster/gruild recruiters etc, to just post a single link to a google docs and update this whenever wherever. =/
    Even Discord has an Edit function =/

• This is really sad. I usually like forums but I find myself less active in those with timers (especially because I like to do RP stuff, and there is often a time I see typos.

At this point, it's almost better for Guide poster/gruild recruiters etc, to just post a single link to a google docs and update this whenever wherever. =/
    Even Discord has an Edit function =/

Yeah something that requires constant edits probably should be done off-site for the time being. Player-created Wiki pages are pretty common and allow for cooperation. Guide posters may want to consider going that route.

• I can just say without permanent edits, any guides and any serious posts are dead for this forum.

I don't mean to sound ungrateful, but I won't waste my time searching through threads with dozens or hundreds of posts, or rely on some moderator help 10 times a day because the initial post cannot be edited after days for such threads. Saying something like that should be done "off-site" is crazy to me and I'm likely not the only one who will not be interested to adding even more time on top of the already large amount it takes to make and keep such a thread updated

The whole point of a forum is to have long, and long lasting content. If all I can do here is a quick 2 liner, I might as well go to discord or similar. What forums excel in compared to discord is collecting and structuring content, like guides and the like. Preventing that feature for assumed security issues is just silly.

There is no benefit not being able to edit a post. As some have already mentioned, there are always version histories if necessary, and people who post malicious things, can do that no matter if there is an edit button or not.

To see a world in a grain of sand And a heaven in a wild flower, Hold infinity in the palm of your hand And eternity in an hour.

• As already mentioned above, we will have more and more difficulties to control all posts according to the forum rules,

if the permission is given to edit posts without limit. Another reason why this permission is never given:

all Gameforge forums are more or less force into line. The SOLO forum won't get the exceptions.

And please forget thought that we get annoyed because we need to edit several times.